*GCDP Community Partner Event*
A fierce resistance is sweeping the nation in response to Donald Trump’s election to the presidency. People are waking up to the realization that politics DOES, in fact, matter, that direct citizen action is required — and the time to act is NOW!
This growing grassroots resistance is notable for its diversity and extremely wide foundation. Pre-existing progressive groups have seen their memberships expand, and new groups are being formed at a rapid pace.
Here in the Upstate of South Carolina, the resistance is also notable for its lack of cohesion and inter-group communication. Almost every day we hear about a new meeting, march, protest, potluck or other event created by a progressive organization.
Every other day we hear a newly-minted activist ask, “What can I do? How can I help? Where can I find out about everything that’s going on?”
The leadership of Indivisible groups in the Greenville / Spartanburg corridor propose a meeting of the minds — at a meeting of any and all progressive political action groups.
We’re calling it “Strength In Unity” because we will all be more effective when we stand together. Let’s focus our efforts and REALLY make a difference! Join us and let’s build Strength In Unity.
Who this is for:
– the leadership teams of any/all progressive political action organizations. (See the list below.)
– any concerned citizen ready, willing and able to step up and become a leader.
What we hope to accomplish:
– to create a friendly “meet and greet” event where group leaders and members can connect and share contact information;
– to identify and recognize all progressive groups in the area (or as many as we can) for the purposes of creating a comprehensive online directory and calendar of events;
– to improve inter-group communication and foster an atmosphere of cooperation among all groups, so that we can support one other in our respective missions; and,
– to discuss how we can avoid duplication of effort and minimize scheduling conflicts moving forward.
Participating groups (so far):
– #Resist Greenville
– ACLU of South Carolina
– Black Lives Matter Greenville
– The Enlightenment Project
– From the Ground Up
– Green Party of Greenville
– Indivisible Clemson
– Indivisible GSP (District 4)
– Indivisible Greenville
– Just Democrats
– Upstate Coalition for Equality
– Upstate Peace Network
Please RSVP so we can plan accordingly.
The event is free to all attendees, but we will be asking for donations to help cover the costs incurred by the hosting venue.