Status: SC declares emergency; precinct reorg meetings still on
Many of you have called, texted, and emailed about the impact the coronavirus could have on our precinct reorganization plans.
On Thursday evening, the South Carolina Democratic Party provided this statement:
While many have asked if they can cancel precinct meetings, we know the situation will only get more complicated in the next few weeks and that is why we are continuing with Precinct Meetings with maximum flexibility. . .At this time, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) is not recommending organizations cancel community events.
So, at this time, we and all the other county parties are continuing plans for precinct reorganization.
State party leaders are in close communication with health officials and if there is a change in the situation, we will let you know as quickly as possible via email, and on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Precinct reorganization will be held on Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon in locations throughout the county. You can find yours here by locating your voting precinct and seeing which reorg location you are scheduled for.
The GCDP and the SCDP are committed to keeping our constituents safe. We want you to not only be safe, but feel safe. So if you feel uncomfortable or you are not feeling well, please don’t come.
If you are interested in being a delegate to the state and, potentially, national conventions, you know that attending precinct reorganization is a prerequisite. You will still qualify if you come just long enough to sign in.
The SCDP has provided additional guidance to help us accommodate your concerns as well as to accomplish the procedural requirements of reorganization:
- We will have disinfectant wipes at each location.
- We will do everything possible to accommodate individuals who are in a vulnerable class – those who are over 60 and those who are immuno-compromised. We will pass along a precinct member’s information to other individuals who attend the precinct meeting if he or she wants to be an officer or delegate.
- No one will be required to stay for the meeting or to enter the meeting room. Please walk to the door of the meeting room and the facilitator will bring you the appropriate precinct sign-in form for your information.
- In the event that our County Convention (currently scheduled for March 30) is postponed or cancelled, you may also let us know if you wish to be a delegate or alternate to the State Convention.
- Individuals do not have at be present at a precinct meeting to be elected as a precinct officer or delegate to the County Convention.
- Individuals do not have to be present at the County Convention to be elected a delegate to the State Convention, or as a county party officer.
- Individuals who wish to run for National Delegate must attend their precinct meeting and the County Convention.
- The agenda will be kept brief. We will sign in, elect precinct officers and delegates to the County Convention, and collect drafted resolutions to the GCDP for adoption at the County Convention.
We hope that you will join us and participate.
Greenville County citizens want a greater say in local, state, and national governance. We are poised poised for change. And, with your help, we can turn this county not just purple, but blue!
So, when you see a wrong and ask “What can I do?”, you’ll know: Elect more Democrats. Start making that happen with precinct reorganization.